Translate

Sunday, November 1, 2015



“The Foot Book” by Dr. Seuss


This is one of our family favorite books. D, my 1st child, was introduced to this book at age one. The rhythmic style of the content attracted him a lot; especially while we read it, I touched or raised his foot to help associate the texts with his body part. This game made him to ask for more of this book. After reading so many times, I even could recite some parts of the book already. Now I started this book again with my #2, A.  A also loves it a lot but only when we two read it together alone. However, the interactive reading with foot moving and comparing definitely attracts her more too.  













(Pic. above) A got to know the link between "Foot" and her foot, and between "feet" and her feet.



(Pic. right) A's right foot was raised as I read "RIGHT" with exclamatory sound effect. Giggles follow. 







(Pic left) We put our feet together as I read "small feet, big feet". I said, "Mei Mei's feet are SMALL! Mama's feet are BIG. Look at the picture. This lady's feet are SMALL and that man's feet are BIG." pointing to the picture. 













(Pic. right) At that moment, D wanted to join us. We started comparing each other's feet. I seized the moment to reinforce D's understanding on sizes. 

D: I am medium.
Mama: Right! Mama's are BIG, yours MEDIUM, and mei mei's SMALL.







(Pic left) "more and more feet" I show A how to sign "more" with hands. Here is D's demonstration.







This is how we enjoyed our reading on "The Foot book."

One little magic is found after reading this book many times and years. At the age of 3, D can recognize which hand is right or left. Amazingly, he seldom make mistakes on that. I am so glad to witness the effect of reading book interactively. I believe the magic formula in kids' learning is in parent-child reading together and repetition of the same book.










3 comments:

  1. wow!! This is nice ~
    Where you get this book? I only saw and read Dr Seuss 's teeth book in my dentist clinique. very nice to read~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of my old collections but I saw this book in MPH book store. You can also check if Bookexess carries it. If so, you may get it cheaper than un MPH.

      Delete
    2. haha, i didn't notice it~ yeah. looking forward for the big bad wolf first :P

      Delete